For an MSP company, it’s vital to have skilled and talented IT employees. The competition is so great for these employees that your business rivals may try to poach the workers you’ve spent time recruiting and training. To avoid this situation, keep your employees happy. Offer them perks that keep them interested in the job and let them know that they have room to grow in your company.
Ways to Keep Your Employees Happy
If you’re a small business owner, it’s not practical to get into a bidding war over an employee that another company wants. Instead, offer your employees benefits that keep them satisfied in their position. If your workforce enjoys working for your MSP company, then they won’t be tempted by your competitors’ offerings.
Here are several ways you can encourage employee satisfaction and retention:
- Career growth – If your employees don’t see future growth in their careers, then your competitors will have an easy time luring them away from your company. Your employees want to work on new challenges and have career opportunities that will help them meet their lifestyle goals. Without these career advancement opportunities, your brightest and best employees will start looking elsewhere. Devise a plan that offers your workforce the challenges they need to shine in their career path. For example, you could introduce a coaching platform from companies like LeggUp that will help develop new skills and increase engagement, leading to employee satisfaction as well as a better functioning business.
- Transparency – Employees not only want you to listen to their concerns, they want to be kept in the loop about what’s happening in the business. Have open conversations about any changes that could affect your employees and consider their views on the matter. This will build your employees’ trust in the company and make them feel they are involved in company policy making.
- Inspire loyalty – Focus on your most talented employees, asking them what they expect from your company. If they’re ever frustrated, ask them what you can do to fix the situation. If the day comes when they tell you they want to leave or have gotten another job offer, ask them why they’re choosing to leave. After you know their answers, you can develop strategies to retain them. Your strategies don’t have to be one-size-fits-all, but individual retention plans that offer what each employee wants from the job.
- Competitive wages – The first thing you need to do is to research how much your competition is willing to pay their employees for specific projects. Once you know that, you can offer your employees a competitive salary and workers compensation insurance that shows them you care about their career and personal growth.
- Consider work and personal life – Take into consideration the personal life of your employees. Offer them flextime or more hours working from home. This gives them a chance of balancing their work and personal life, so they don’t feel they’re giving up time spent with family and friends. You could also consider sabbaticals for your best employees. Time off helps rejuvenate them and they’ll think twice before taking an offer from your competitors.
- Ethical brand – Make sure your company offers ethical services, providing customers with what you promised them. Employees want to feel they’re helping the clients. This gives them a sense of accomplishment, as well as pride in what they do. They want to work for a trustworthy company whose brand stands for something.
It’s inevitable that some employees will leave your MSP company for another position that they feel is a better fit for them. However, if you challenge your employees, let them know you appreciate their efforts and offer compensation for a job well done, then it’s unlikely they’ll be enticed by an employee poacher.